Three straight wins for Biggar RFC

Richard Peacock scores a try at Kirkcaldy (Pic by Nigel Pacey)
Richard Peacock scores a try at Kirkcaldy (Pic by Nigel Pacey)

BIGGAR Rugby Club head coach Gavin Blackburn has been outlining the reasons for his side’s incredible upturn in results.

Biggar won 42-19 at Kirkcaldy in Friday night’s BT National Division 2 clash – their third straight win in league and cup having previously gone eight months without winning a league game.

Gavin said: “We had been giving a few young lads their opportunity and they’d been taking time to settle.

“I have built up confidence in this group of players.

“The effort has always been there. They are now reaping the benefits of it.

“We just needed to get a couple of victories to get us on the right road.

“We don’t fear playing anyone, home or away.

“I think we will have a very good season.”

Gavin said his players had really enjoyed playing under the lights at Kirkcaldy and he praised how well they played.

“I’m delighted,” Gavin added.

“The players are starting to play some very good stuff and their work ethic is fantastic.

“There is a lot of confidence around at the moment.

“The way we played on Friday at times showed that.

“We had a real purpose in our game.

“The forwards provided an excellent platform at the setpiece and our backline looked really dangerous.

“It was a real team effort.”

Friday’s win moved Biggar above Kirkcaldy into ninth place in the league table.

Gavin added: “Our ambitions are to get as far up the table as we can and take it from there.”

The victory over Kirkcaldy represented the first time that Biggar had ever recorded 40 points against their Fife opponents and the first time they’d recorded three consecutive wins for three seasons.

A Richard Peacock try in the very first minute – after a fantastic kick and run for the line – put Biggar ahead and this effort was converted by Francois Nel.

Further first half Biggar tries by Craig McDonald and Peacock – both converted by Nel – helped Biggar to a 21-7 half-time lead.

A great solo try by Graham Jamieson on 51 minutes earned Biggar’s bonus point. The effort was again converted by Nel.

Peacock’s fourth score – again dutifully converted by Nel – completed an excellent night’s work for the Hartreemill side.