Brave fightback by Biggar Rugby Club but Dumfries prevailed in the end

Aly Sinclair scores Biggar's first try in their 29-26 home defeat by Dumfries Saints (Pic by Nigel Pacey)
Aly Sinclair scores Biggar's first try in their 29-26 home defeat by Dumfries Saints (Pic by Nigel Pacey)

Biggar Rugby Club produced a remarkable second half fightback against Dumfries on Saturday but ended up losing narrowly, writes Alistair Stewart.

Trailing 24-5 at the interval, Biggar recovered to lose just 29-26 in this BT National Division 2 clash, after spurning the chance to earn a draw with a last minute penalty by unsuccessfully going for a try.

At least Biggar collected two points courtesy of their losing and four-try bonus, Dumfries picking up a maximum five from their part in the eight-try feast.

Biggar’s task was made tough from the outset as Dumfries full-back Sam Hiddleston ran through for a try converted by John Carlisle.

Carlisle then hit an upright with a penalty before a mistake by Biggar stand-off Carne Greene allowed Carlisle to run through for a score which he again converted for 14-0.

And it was soon 21-0 for the visitors at Hartreemill when Hiddleston crashed through the despairing Biggar defence at a great angle for a third Dumfries try which was converted.

Biggar then lost the services of hooker Ewan Stewart after a head knock and he faces two weeks out.

And another Dumfries penalty was then converted for 24-0.

But Biggar at last gained a lifeline late in the half when Alistair Sinclair scampered over for a try.

Rory Steele scored Dumfries’s fourth try to make Biggar’s task even harder but the hosts’ Moffit barged over from close range and Green converted for 29-12.

And this deficit was soon reduced by another seven points when Moffat’s successful stretch for the line was followed by another accurate Green kick between the posts.

A clash of heads then saw Biggar’s Braid and Dumfries’ McCall depart, this leading to uncontested scrums.

Biggar’s Jardine went off injured as Biggar continued to press.

Green’s long pass to Notman put him in to score, with Green again doing the necessary with the dead ball.

But this was the end of the Biggar scoring; they visit GHK this Saturday.