Lanark United roar into third round of Scottish Junior Cup

Lanark United made no mistake by defeating West Region Super League First Division Whitletts Victoria 2-0 in their Scottish Cup second round replay at Moor Park on Saturday, writes Tam Anderson.

Wednesday, 10th October 2018, 11:05 am
Updated Wednesday, 10th October 2018, 11:12 am
Lanark United players celebrate scoring against Whitletts Victoria in Saturdays replay win (Pic courtesy of Lanark United)

United were in control for most of the game and ran out deserved winners to take their place in the third round of the Scottish.

On two minutes a Cammy Lawson free-kick was well saved by keeper Martin Fraser, turning the ball away for a corner.

Lanark striker Ian Watt then produced two shots which were both saved by the Vics keeper as United kept up the pressure but the scoreline remained blank at the interval.

On 50 minutes Lanark keeper Gareth Hallford made a terrific double save in a rare attack by the visitors but Hallford was again called into action to save a well hit shot by Jordan Boyd.

Watt then saw his shot clearede off the line as United resumed on the attack.

Hugh Kerr then had his free-kick from the edge of the box well saved by Fraser diving to his right.

United took the lead on 75 minutes when a left wing cross from Lewis Hill was met at the edge of the box by Stuart Annetts and his low shot beat Fraser at his left hand post.

Three minutes later Watt broke clear on the left and cut inside before leaving Fraser helpless with a low shot to double United’s lead.

United ran out worthy winners. This Saturday, Lanark host Forth Wanderers in League Two, KO 2pm.

* While United were advancing to round three of the cup, Carluke Rovers were making it four League Two matches unbeaten in a 2-1 success at Johnstone Burgh.

After a goalless first half, it was Johnstone who took the lead on 58 minutes when miscommunication between Cherrie and Biggart let in the Burgh forward to intercept and send a 15-yard shot into an unguarded net.

Rovers drew level in the 82nd minute when a long right wing throw from Dominic Chedu was headed in by Haley.

Burgh were reduced to 10 men for a foul on Rovers striker Ross MacNeil on the edge of the penalty box.

Cassidy’s quickly taken free-kick found Haley, who angled a short pass to MacNeil. He flicked the ball to Weir, who blasted the ball home from a tight angle with his renowned left foot.

Rovers host Thorniewood United in the league this Saturday, kick-off 2pm.