Cup glory for Biggar Colts

The triumphant Biggar Colts squad (Submitted pic)
The triumphant Biggar Colts squad (Submitted pic)

Biggar Rugby Club Colts won 20-0 at their Boroughmuir counterparts in a Scottish National Cup qualifier last Saturday.

Both Currie and Biggar will now be the representatives from the Edinburgh Region into the quarter-final draw.

With so much to play for in this game both teams started with little ground being given any way.

Biggar had the wind on their backs and knew they had to gain a points advantage in the first half.

However it was Boroughmuir who were gaining more yards and showing more threat early on.

Against the run of play a loose ball was gathered by Andrew Jardine who then saw the gap and ran 60 yards to score a opportunistic try which was converted by Euan Bogle.

Biggar had received a “get out of jail card” with this try and then capitalised on it by proceeding to put in a series of good attacks down the left side through mainly Peter Steele.

Although being stopped short, Biggar were awarded a penalty and took the chance to keep the scoreboard ticking over and Euan Bogle put a penalty over.

From this more pressure was put on Boroughmuir and with them infringing, a further penalty was awarded which again was put over by Euan.

This allowed Biggar to go in at half-time 13 points up.

The boys had put in a ferocious effort in the half and no more so than captain Ross Jackson who led in defence and was always on hand for rucks and mauls where Biggar were dominating.

The backs were confident and running well with the forwards always on hand to support.

In the second half the wind had eased and so Boroughmuir did not have the advantage Biggar had had.

Even though Biggar were 13 points up there could be no let up and the game could easily have turned around at any point.

Early on Boroughmuir certainly took the game to Biggar, being well led by their number 8 and captain Cunningham. For a significant time they were near the try line but getting penalised for pushing over 1.5 metres in the scrum and at times not releasing from the mauls so losing the put in at the scrum.

Biggar were taking their chances better, no more so than when a fine move was completed wide by the impressive Henry Adams and converted by Euan Bogle.

Although 20 points up this game could easily have turned round at any point but Biggar did not allow it.

This Saturday it is back to league games with a home match against Falkirk.