Biggar RFC knocked out of BT Cup

Biggar Rugby Club's first match since the resignation of head coach Gavin Blackburn resulted in a home BT Cup loss to GHA.

Wednesday, 24th February 2016, 9:11 am
Updated Wednesday, 24th February 2016, 9:15 am
Biggar's Aly Sinclair has a clear run to the posts as other look on as he scores a great try after an interception by Graham Jamieson (No 12) (Pic by Nigel Pacey)

Saturday’s 26-18 second round defeat at Hartreemill saw Biggar in the capable hands of Murray Thomson and Doug Fleming.

A complete comedy of errors presaged the first score of the game as Biggar were forced into their own 22.

A wild pass from Robbie Lavery soared over the head of stand off Aird Jardine who thenscampered back into his own in­goal area to retrieve and clear.

The slippy ground did him no favours however and his clearance dropped out of his hands and into the path of the advancing GHA stand off who touched down for the easiest of scores.

The conversion gave GHA a 7-­0 lead within the first minute.

Biggar hit back and centre Graham Jamieson made a great interception and off­load which paved the way for a try for supporting winger Alisdair Sinclair who scorched in under the posts.

Richard Peacock’s conversion tied the scores at 7-­7.

A few minutes later Biggar took the lead and then extended this to 13-­7 with a couple of Peacock penalties.

A great lineout take by Alan Warnock saw Biggar drive as well as they have all season to create a platform to attack the GHA line.

With play seemingly halted it was flanker Douglas Notman who picked to lunge through a couple of tackles for the line.

Richard Peacock’s conversion failed to find its mark but this gave Biggar an 18­-7 half-time lead.

GHA reduced the leeway early in the second half when stand off Andrew Goudie ghosted through the Biggar line with a fine dummy and acceleration to nip over for a try. The conversion was missed.

GHA centre James Edgar then made a great burst through, allowing the replacement winger to score in the corner.

With scrum half Peter Jericevich taking over the kicking duties the ball crept in to give GHA the lead at 19­-18.

With just one point seperating the sides it was clear the next score would most likely be the winner and so it proved, Rangi Jericevich rounding off a try after another scything run by Edgar.

The try scorer’s brother Peter landed the conversion.