Ant's on fire as Biggar win

ANTHONY Posa is off and running!

The new Biggar Rugby Club head coach got his first Premier 2 league win in Saturday's impressive 30-12 home triumph over Hamilton.

"I'm relieved and happy to get the first win," Posa said. "It is a great result and one we probably deserved.

"It's a much better feeling than I've had in the last couple of weeks.

"We were down to 12 men at one point after getting three men yellow carded, but we dug in.

"Naive mistakes have hindered us in recent matches, but the boys upped the ante in defence on Saturday.

"The boys are working for each other and gelling. When you do that, you get improvement."

After suffering defeats from his first three games in charge, Posa admits he was under pressure to deliver a first victory.

"No-one likes losing," he added.

"But we have been improving week by week. I was reasonably confident that a positive result would come.

"I think it is a little bit overdue. We just need to keep everyone injury free and keep focussed."

Biggar took an eighth minute lead against Hamilton when Chris McKeand stroked over his third penalty attempt.

McKeand was immediately back in the thick of things as he rounded off a great three-quarters move by taking Notman's pass to cross for a try he converted for a 10-0 lead.

Biggar's Lewis McLachlan just managed to stretch far enough and touchdown for a second score right under the posts.

McKeand added the conversion and Biggar were 17-0 ahead.

Hamilton hit back with a try by winger Nigel Scullion, but stand-off Craig Sangster missed the conversion.

A third McKeand penalty took Biggar 20-5 ahead and then on 34 minutes another probe by Muir from a tap penalty took play deep into the Hamilton 22.

His pass to Lavery was taken but a high tackle almost brought the move to an end. Play continued via Anderson who though held short was recycled.

With advantage being played for the high tackle referee Healy must have spotted another offence because he immediately ran to the posts to award a penalty try, which McKeand converted for a 30-5 lead at half-time.

With Biggar already reduced to 14 men, their cause was not aided one iota as first of all Fraser Campbell was sin-binned for stamping and then seconds later Michael Rutherford suffered a similar fate for an offside.

This meant Biggar were down to 12 men and crucially unable to field a recognised front row as prop David Robertson had been injured earlier.

A spell of Hamilton pressure culminated in Scullion notching his second score after Biggar's defence had inevitably been stretched wide.

Sangster added the conversion and reduced the Biggar lead to 30-12.

Fortunately this score coincided with Owens return which helped no end, the big No 8 looking very much at home after a few seasons absence.

Coach Posa is hopeful his troops can continue where they left off against Hamilton this Saturday, when they visit Peebles in an eagerly anticipated local derby.

"I've played in many local derbies around the world," the New Zealand-born supremo added.

"The one thing you know is that form counts for nothing.

"It is just whoever gets things right on the day.

"We have put a lot of hard work in, and things are starting to come together.

"But I'm not getting carried away. There is still stuff we need to work on."

Biggar hooker Mike Rutherford will miss the game through injury.

BIGGAR 2nd XV lost 31-18 at home to Hamilton in a hard-fought league game on Saturday.

But Biggar S1s fared better, defeating Hawick 16-10 thanks to tries by Ryan Anderson (2), Daniel Blackman and Reiss Cullen, and four conversions by J Warnock.

Two tries by Paul Davidson, one by Mark Bertram and a conversion by Gavin Parker couldn't prevent Biggar S2s losing 27-16 to Hawick at Hartreemill.

Biggar under-16s lost 36-5 at Kilmarnock, with Chris Mulligan scoring Biggar's try.

Any youngster who would like to train with Biggar U15 or U18 squads is welcome to attend training on Wednesday evenings from 7-8.30pm.

No previous experience is necessary and anyone getting involved will be made most welcome.

Biggar Rugby Club's social calendar is busy over the next couple of months.

First up is the Casino Night, scheduled for Saturday October 11, followed by the Boxing Night on Saturday November 1. Tickets can be booked from Rab Ramsay or GY.

This weekend's fixtures are: Saturday — 1st XV v Peebles, Premier 2, away, The Gytes, KO 3pm; 2nd XV v Cartha Queens Park, 2nd XV National Division 2, away, KO 3pm; Colts XV v Livingston, EDU U-18 league, away, KO 3pm. Sunday — Mini, Linlithgow tournament, KO 11am;

Midi, S1/2 v Currie (away); U-15/U-16 v Bats (away).

LANARK Rugby Club roared to the top of the league thanks to an amazing 82-0 home victory over Mid Argyll at Lochgilphead on Saturday.

Early sunshine disappeared for the duration of the game and the heavens opened until the final whistle.

Lanark travelled with a strong squad and quickly opened the scoring with a fine try from wing Jonny O'Neil.

The bonus point was achieved in the first 15 minutes with further tries from Geoff Smith and Iain Hughes.

The floodgates opened with Lanark knocking up 61 points in the first half alone.

Fraser Lawson grabbed three tries to put himself as the league's top try scorer.

More tries were added by Scott and McGuiness.

Iain Hughes kicked all the conversions bar one, giving him a personal tally of 32 points.

The try of the match came form Zane Grey, who thundered down the wing from the halfway line, leaving a trail of battered opposition players in his not inconsiderable wake.

Excellent performances from Gordon McComish and Stewart Wise rounded off a brilliant afternoon of running rugby.

All credit goes to the home side, who never gave up and were particularly strong in the tight.

Next Saturday is an away game at Clydesdale.

All junior sides have matches and training continues on Wednesday Evenings for Colts, S1's and seniors. Minis train on Sunday mornings at 10.30am and Rugrats on Monday afternoon at 3.30pm.