Death of Pipe Major is cause for lament

Pipe Major William Edwin Frame, Carluke  - submitted picture November 2015 for obituary
Pipe Major William Edwin Frame, Carluke - submitted picture November 2015 for obituary

A Scottish soldier who was a poster boy for the army and later honoured by the Queen, has died at his home in Carluke.

William Edwin Frame, Carluke born and bred, was one of the town’s heroes, serving 22 years in the Royal Highland Fusiliers.

Eddie started work as a joiner after leaving Carluke High School, but in 1958 he joined the Highland Light Infantry, marrying Christine Russel Davidson the same year. The following year the HLI merged with another regiment to become the Royal Highland Fusiliers.

In Carluke Eddie had always been interested in piping – he had been a mascot with the Caledonian Pipe Band where he learned to play – and over his army career he played the pipes all over the world, becoming a Pipe Major.

The Royal Highland Fusiliers were sent to Aden for 14 months as a peace-keeping force then in 1960 Eddie was posted to Malta, for two years, and he served in Germany, Cyprus, and Canada, as well as being stationed at Newport in Wales and at Fort George in the Highlands.

He also had four tours of duty in Northern Ireland.

In his full uniform, Eddie was an imposing figure, and he became a poster boy for the army in some respects.

A photograph of him posing with Mons Meg at Edinburgh Castle was a popular postcard over many years, and his image was also used on tourist plaques and payphone coin boxes.

He retired from the army in 1980, but went to work with the Glasgow and Strathclyde University Officers Training Corps, still playing the pipes with the Strathclyde University Pipe Band .

He was awarded the British Empire Medal.

After 18 years with the Officer Training Corps he should have retired, but he took on a driver’s job with the Sahara in Carluke, just to keep busy.

He died last Thursday at the age of 78, survived by his wife and children John, Edwin and Heather. The funeral service takes place on Monday at Holytown Crematorium at noon.