CALLS have been made for peace talks in an increasingly heated war of words between Lanark and the council over the fate of a landmark Royal Burgh building.
The plea was prompted by an angry accusation that South Lanarkshire Council (SLC) officials were “hiding” in County Buildings rather than going to Lanark to explain their actions over the crumbling Murray Chapel in Lanark Cemetery.
One Lanark clergyman alleged that SLC was treating the Community Council’s efforts to save the 101-year-old chapel with “contempt”.
Patience seems to have run out in the long-running issue over the fate of the landmark, built in 1911.
Seven years ago a roof leak was noticed, allegedly needing £30,000 to repair, leading to its ‘temporary’ closure by SLC while “funding sources were identified”.
No repairs were carried out and the building deteriorated; the estimated repair bill is now £500,000.
For full story see this week’s Lanark Gazette.