Down Memory Lane

Queens train, Lanark Racecourse Station 1953
Queens train, Lanark Racecourse Station 1953
Share this article

Discover the stories that made the Gazette headlines, all those years ago.

Double this week’s picture, we can see two things that have faded into history. Firstly, in this photo from the collection of the Gazette’s old friend Ed Archer, is a rare view of the Lanark Racecourse Station, opened specially to cater for the crowds attending the famous airshow there in 1910 but which went on to serve the town for another half century and more before it fell victim to Dr Beeching’s infamous cuts in 1965. Secondly, the train itself is, according to Ed, thought to be the Royal Train, now also no more, which was calling at Lanark as part of the Coronation Tour of 1953. After what must have been a brief stop at the Racecourse halt, the train proceeded into the main Lanark Station where huge, cheering crowds awaited the then young monarch. Also awaiting her was a colour guard of the Cameronians, then based at Winston Barracks. Well, at least HM the Queen has survived since this picture was taken, which is more than can be said for the station, the train, the Cameronians, the barracks...and Lanark Racecourse! Hardly any evidence remains of the racecourse station which saw great service not only on Lanark race days but as a very handy commuter link through the Douglas Valley to Ayrshire beyond. What an asset lost.


* Local MP Judith Hart held a meeting with the Carluke branch of the Labour Party. She was questioned on various aspects of national and local policy.

* Members of Carluke WRI held a ‘at home’ and entertained older members who had founded the Carluke branch 38 years previously. President Mrs Brooks gave a vote of thanks.

* An application by a Carluke man to change the use of houses in Stewart Street to factory premises for the manufacture of electronic instruments and components was turned down.

* Lanark racehorse owner Robert Beattie came home with a 350/1 double on Saturday as his horses Rhyber and Pins and Needles won on courses in England.

* Lanarkshire County Council had no objection to the town council’s proposals to ban through traffic through the Wellgate from 10am to 5pm Monday to Saturday.

* Former Rangers goalkeeper Jerry Dawson, nicknamed the Prince of Goalkeepers, was to referee a charity match between Carluke Dynamo and the ‘Dainty Dinahs’.


* Lessons from the life of Jacob was the subject of an interesting address by Mr James Melrose, from New Lanark, at the recent meeting of the Lanark YMCA.

* Prominent townsman Mr James Clasper retired from his position as Chief Superintendent of the Prudential Insurance Company in Lanark.

* With a view to organising celebrations for the Coronation of King George V, a meeting was held in Carstairs Village School. Rev R Sharp presided over a large attendance.

* Colonel RJ Logan and Mr Frank Warnock were elected onto the Carnwath School Board. Six other men took their place on the board after being re-elected.

* A 27-year-old miner, from Law, died after suffering a fall while out running. According to the Gazette he was an excellent pianist and had played in a number of bands.

* A special meeting of Carluke Golf Club took place with the purpose of setting out a new golf course. The club had successfully secured a lease of Halloraig Estate, from the Coltness Iron Company, to create the course.