Discover the stories that made the Gazette headline, all those years ago.
50 YEARS AGO
* An unemployed Braidwood engineer was jailed for 60 days at Lanark Sheriff Court for wife assault. He had admitted pulling his wife out of bed, dragging her across the floor to his room and repeatedly punching her on the back and neck.
* Lanark County Council proceeded with a remodelling and extension of Carluke RC School to provide five extra classrooms and a general purposes room.
* A 35,000 improvement to the Stirling-Carlisle road at the south end of Carluke was approved in principle by the Scottish Home Department.
* Biggar Town Council was to give financial aid to inaugurate a meals-on-wheels service for local OAPs.
* Mr JH Macpherson, Erimas House, Crossford, won top dividend in Littlewoods Pools that week with 23 points – 2191.
* Lanark United lost 3-1 at Ashfield in a fourth round Scottish Junior Cup replay.
* Lesmahagow Juniors were open to offers for full back J Matthews, who hadn't been in the team since the arrival of Andrew Shankly from Coalburn Juveniles.
100 YEARS AGO
* Crossford Thistle beat Auchenheath 4-2 in football's South Lanark Juvenile League.
* Lanark PC John Macdonald was transferred to Lesmahagow.
* B Company (Lanark) beat D Company (Carluke) in a shooting match on the miniature range at Lanark.
* There was a not proven verdict at Lanark Sheriff Court for a Kirkfieldbank carter who had pleaded not guilty to failing to attach sufficient lamps to and on each side of the lorry he was driving near Cartland Bridge on December 2.
* Carluke man Leighton G Winchester was chosen from a shortleet of four to be organist and choirmaster at Wooddean UF Church in Bothwell.
* Within the grounds of Hamilton Palace, the newly formed fire brigade for the county of Lanark was inaugurated in the presence of many ladies and gentlemen.
* Bargains on gramophones were advertised as being available from W Mitchell Piano and Organ Saloon, 86 Main Street, Wishaw.
* Lanark Celtic were top of football's South Lanarkshire Juvenile League.