Pub plan for Biggar’s Moat Park is withdrawn

Moat Park...pub plan for former museum has been withdrawn
Moat Park...pub plan for former museum has been withdrawn

THE developer behind the controversial plan for a micro-brewery, pub and restaurant at Moat Park in Biggar has withdrawn its plans.

The move has dismayed property owner, Biggar Museum Trust, which needs the proceeds from the sale of the former church to continue work on the new museum in the town’s High Street.

And Trustees are angry as they believed that, after initial opposition, public opinion in Biggar was changing in favour of the proposal.

“We are obviously disappointed,” said Trust chairman James Dawnay.

“It will mean going back to the drawing board as far as selling Moat Park is concerned.”

The Trust had originally applied for planning permission for a four-house residential development of the Moat Park site and this was granted on October 27.

But in the meantime the offer had been received for conversion of Moat Park into a restaurant, bar and micro brewery. But plans for that aroused local concern; of those submitting comments to South Lanarkshire Council, two thirds were objecting.

Much of the funding for the project had come from individuals and the Trust canvassed all 260 donors; 85 per cent backed the plan.

A Trust spokesman said: “At a public meeting held in Biggar on October 27, attended by over 100 local people, a clear majority of those attending were also in favour of the application.

“Further canvassing of local opinion has confirmed the earlier findings.”

For more on this, pick up a copy of this week’s Carluke and Lanark Gazette.