FOR more than three centuries Douglas Masonic Lodge St Bride Number 118 has been ever present in the village.
Members of the Lodge will gather this Saturday to mark the 300th anniversary of the Lodge being properly constituted.
The event will see Grand Lodge of Scotland office bearers, including Grand Master Mason of Scotland Bro Charles Iain Wolrige of Esselmont, officiating a service of re-dedication at the village’s Masonic Hall.
The Lodge’s minute book is dated from April 12, 1714 and contains a record of its business until January 1778.
The occasion will also recall events of 200 years ago when, at a meeting to mark the centenary in 1814 of the first minute in the book, the members and a large number of Freemasons from Lodges in the locality and Ayrshire heard the first minute read together.
Other information read out on the occasion went back to August 1694, when it appears a precursor of the Lodge of today was in existence.
The re-dedication ceremony is not the only event that the Douglas brethren have had to mark the tri-centenary of their Lodge.
A civic reception was recently held in the council’s Almada Street base in Hamilton with Provost Eileen Logan hosting.